What I have loved about Christmas vacation, is being able to do a lot of extra cooking with my children. I have always wanted to attempt in making my own bagels, however, never had the time to try. Last night the kids and I made our first batch of bagels together. Although they did not look as perfect and smooth as the store bought bagels, they tasted so much better! The best part about making bagels, was the special time that my children and I spent making them together.
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 1/2 Tbl. sugar
- 1 1/2 tea. salt
- 3 cups of bread flour
- 2 tea. of dry active yeast
- 3 Tbl. Olive oil
- Mix in a bread machine (dough cycle) or stand mixer.
- Knead the dough for about 7 minutes, or until it is smooth.
- Separate the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball, making a hole in the center of each bagel. Then place them on a greased cookie sheet.
- Put the bagel shaped dough in a warm place to rise for 20 minutes.
- Bring water in a shallow sauce pan to a boil. Add a couple of bagels at a time to the water, allowing them to boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove the bagels from the water with a slotted spoon and place on the greased cookie sheet.
- Brush olive oil on top of each bagel. (we added some Parmesan cheese too)
- Bake the bagels in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.